April 30, 2020 – Loans in the banking system grew 9.45 percent in 12 months. This figure is higher than the variation recorded in the previous month – 8.44 percent – but lower than that of the same period last year – 10.21 percent.
Commercial loans boosted the result with a rise of 12.37 percent. The housing portfolio grew 8.62 percent while the consumer portfolio reported a drop of 0.06 percent in 12 months. Meanwhile, the loan-loss provisions index stood at 2.56 percent; the arrears ratio of 90 days or more slightly decreased from 2.04 to 2.03 percent; and the impaired portfolio fell from 5.06 to 5.01 percent.
Profits for March reached 162,252 million Chilean pesos – USD 192 million. It’s a drop of 30.84 percent compared to February but an annual growth of 1.97 percent. An increase in net provision expenses explains this lower monthly result, though an increase in the net interest margin and the result of financial operations mitigated the fall.
Loans by savings and credit cooperatives supervised by the CMF rose by 3 percent over 12 months, below the 4.08 percent recorded in February. Lesser growth of the consumer portfolio – only 3.62 percent – explains this variation.
Regarding credit risk, both the provisions and impaired portfolio indices declined compared to the previous month while the arrears ratio improved. The provisions index got 4.24 percent; the arrears ratio of 90 days or more was 3.38 percent; and the impaired portfolio recorded 7.53 percent.
Monthly profits fell 19.74 percent compared to February – a variation attributable to higher net provision expenses. Profits decreased 3.73 percent over the last 12 months.
Alongside this month’s financial information, the Performance Report includes an analysis of online transactions in the Banking System.
Links to Relevant Documents
- Report on the Performance of Banking System and Cooperatives – March 2020
- Monthly Report on the Financial Information of the Banking System – March 2020
- Report on Derivative and Non-Derivative Instruments of the Banking System – March 2020
- Indicator of individual default of 90 days of the Banking System – March 2020
- Report on the Non-Performing Loans of the Banking System – March 2020
- Assets and Liabilities of the Chilean Banking System Abroad – March 2020
- Balance Sheet and Statements of Banks (in plain text format) – March 2020
- Financial Report of Savings and Credit Cooperatives – March 2020