Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks, Federal Savings Associations, and Federal Branches and Agencies; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel; and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) today issued an updated “Other Real Estate Owned” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook, which is prepared for use by OCC examiners in connection with the examination and supervision of national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches and agencies of foreign banking organizations (collectively, banks).
Updates are summarized in the “Table of Updates Since Publication” in the back of the booklet. Refer to the “Foreword” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook for more information regarding the OCC’s process for revising and updating booklets.
The updated booklet replaces the booklet of the same title issued in August 2018. Also rescinded is OCC Bulletin 2018-26, “Other Real Estate Owned: Updated Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet.”
Note for Community Banks
The “Other Real Estate Owned” booklet applies to the OCC’s supervision of community banks.
The updated booklet
- reflects recent changes to 12 CFR 34, subpart E, including changes to holding period requirements for federal savings associations.
- reflects changes to other regulations that occurred since this booklet was last issued.
- reflects changes to OCC issuances published and rescinded since this booklet was last issued.
- clarifies applicability of certain requirements to covered savings associations.
- includes clarifying edits regarding supervisory guidance, sound risk management practices, or legal language.
- revises certain content for general clarity.
Please contact the Commercial Credit Risk Policy Division at (202) 649-6670.
Grovetta N. Gardineer
Senior Deputy Comptroller of Bank Supervision Policy