The challenges of the new reality posed by the ongoing pandemic have not hindered the MFSA’s outreach and engagement with stakeholders in the financial services industry.
In September, the Authority organised two webinars:
- 2 September – The Securities & Market Supervision function gave a general overview of an EU directive which aims to develop a new covered bond framework applicable across different financial sectors. The directive is based on the minimum harmonisation principle with the aim of defining the “covered bond” as an instrument recognised by EU financial regulation and to harmonise minimum quality standards of covered bonds across the EU.
- 10 September – The MFSA organised a webinar on Money Laundering Risks Associated with Trustees and Company Service Providers. It brought together the different perspectives of all the local entities with a role to play in mitigating money laundering risks, including the National Coordination Committee on Anti-Money Laundering (NCC), the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU), and the Malta Business Registry (MBR). Christopher Buttigieg, Chief Officer Supervision, Emily Benson, Head, Petra Camilleri, Senior Manager, and Alison Cortis, Senior Technical Expert, within Conduct Supervision, addressed the webinar on behalf of the MFSA. Did you miss the webinar? Click here to access the recording.
The Authority also took part in several webinars throughout the month:
- 3 September – Christopher P. Buttigieg, MFSA’s Chief Officer Supervision participated in a webinar organised by the Malta Business Network, “MONEYVAL, where are we?”
- 17 September – Ryan Borg, MFSA’s Deputy Counsel, EU and International Affairs participated in a webinar organised by PwC discussing the European Union’s Sustainable Finance agenda
- 24 September – Pierre Paul Gauci, MFSA’s Deputy Head of Banking Supervision participated in a webinar organised by VIXIO Regulatory Intelligence, “The challenges facing regulated firms and the catalysts for change.”
On Friday, 2 October, the MFSA will be organising a webinar, “Striking a Balance between De-Risking and Managing Risk in the Financial Services Industry.” This is an awareness-raising webinar for the financial services sector on MONEYVAL specific action points including understanding the risks of being an international financial centre, an update on financial sector risks, and giving institutions visibility of the MFSA’s delivery on MONEYVAL.